I love being able to combine style and affordability. I have spent many nights (and days, if we are being honest) in my pj’s sitting on the computer viewing super cute clothes on auction websites.
Over the years, I have learned some tips about getting the best deal when shopping at an online auction website. #1 rule – stay within my set budget!
That’s me – shopping on South Granville! My favourite spot.
To find out more tips and tricks about how you can get the most out of your online shopping experience I spoke with Camille Kowalewski, Senior Communications Manager, eBay Canada. Camille shared with me the latest trends and tips for the best shopping experience online.
What are the best tips to get a great deal shopping online?
It’s easy to get a great deal shopping online. Here are just a few tips to find great value when shopping online at auction websites:
• Research the item in advance to get a sense of the price range you are looking at to score a deal. Use this information to refine your search results and enter your spending parameters in the pricing filter. From there, voila – you’ll have a list of great deals waiting for you to pick from.
• Always check the daily deals pages for flash sales on the hottest merchandise of the season. Deals are updated daily, so check back for the deepest discounts, plus free shipping!
• Look for auctions and listings with “Best Offer” options; these allow you to start with a low offer on a product, increasing the chances of getting a good deal.
What are the common mistakes that people make when shopping online?
• Not paying attention to the details. Like shopping offline, it’s important to read and understand the details of your potential online purchase. Take notice of key information such as materials, measurements, model make or year, etc.
• Not communicating with the seller. You can contact the seller if you would like further information, need additional photos of the product or require details on shipping options. Sellers want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase and are more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
What are the best tips to get the most out of your online shopping experience?
• Keep shipping and geography in mind if you have a deadline for when you need to receive your purchase – like ordering shoes to wear at your friend’s summer wedding. The shorter the timeframe, the smaller the geography should be between you and the location your purchase is being shipped from to ensure it arrives on time.
• Always use a secure form of payment. Look for a secure digital wallet where you can safely store all your payment options and comes with buyer and seller protection.
What are the best tips when shopping online for designer items?
If this is your first time making an online purchase for a designer item and you’re looking for some extra confidence in your selection, look for items sold by top-rated sellers or sellers who have very good ratings from their previous customers. These type of sellers have buyer feedback that shows they consistently provide the best buying experiences for their customers, including easy returns and expedited shipping.
What are the hottest trends for summer for guys and girls?
• We are seeing a lot of khaki and safari-inspired apparel this summer
• The boho trend is also key this season with a 1970’s inspired look
• Bomber jackets continue to be a key trend in men’s fashion and we are seeing tons of lightweight bombers – perfect for those cooler summer nights or overcast days
• Printed tees are that perfect trend to showcase your individual style, and this season we are seeing tons of large graphics, florals
I will be thinking about all of these online shopping tips as I continue to expand my summer wardrobe. Your suggestions are always welcome, as I continue on my journey to live life to the fullest. Let’s have the very best 2015!